In January Spencer became a Sunbeam. Which meant he graduated from snacks and toys to lessons and hard chairs. This was not an easy transition. During the first few weeks, he sobbed through all of Class Time and Sharing Time (even when the Primary Chorister offered to sing his favorite song: "ABC Spiderman").
After a few weeks, he began to do better in class and we were encouraged. But then the Primary Secretary off-handedly mentioned that he was sleeping during Sharing Time. Apparently, he would walk in, look sad, sit begrudgingly in his seat, and take a nap. Now, I served in Primary for four years, and I've seen kids hide under their chairs, hit others with their chairs, move their chairs around the room, and even get their heads stuck in the hole at the back of the chair; but I don't think I've ever had a child fall asleep in his chair. (I always thought this was something that was learned later in life and perfected on the stand.)
This last Sunday Spencer was invited to give a scripture.
I teach Sunday School, so I had Carter help him read the scripture. Apparently, it was enough to keep him awake through both hours. After Church Spencer gave me a glowing report: "Mom, I did great in church today! I didn't cry or fall asleep!"
After a few weeks, he began to do better in class and we were encouraged. But then the Primary Secretary off-handedly mentioned that he was sleeping during Sharing Time. Apparently, he would walk in, look sad, sit begrudgingly in his seat, and take a nap. Now, I served in Primary for four years, and I've seen kids hide under their chairs, hit others with their chairs, move their chairs around the room, and even get their heads stuck in the hole at the back of the chair; but I don't think I've ever had a child fall asleep in his chair. (I always thought this was something that was learned later in life and perfected on the stand.)
This last Sunday Spencer was invited to give a scripture.
I teach Sunday School, so I had Carter help him read the scripture. Apparently, it was enough to keep him awake through both hours. After Church Spencer gave me a glowing report: "Mom, I did great in church today! I didn't cry or fall asleep!"
.
If only we could all say the same...
8 comments:
I can't think of the last Sunday when I didn't want to either cry, fall asleep or both.
Here Here...I'm proud of you Spencer! (and Carter, way to "brother-up").
This is too hilarious, I agree with Tyler on this one!
I love it!!!
And now you're it. I tagged you on my blog, so check it out to see the rules and 6 non-important things about me, then share your own. (When you've got a second.)
Loves water bottles and hats, struggles a bit with malodorous emissions, and sleeps in church. What is Spencer's middle name????
Way to go Spencer!
Spencer, you are the greatest. Your mom relates wonderful stories and tell your dad to quit complaining. I not only stayed awake last Sunday, I had to sit on the stand due to the Bishop's absence. Love you guys, Papa.
Spencer sounds like half of my own Sunbeam class. As soon as we get into Sharing Time, they crawl into my lap and are instantly out like a light. The other half is completely different. Chair banging, crying, giggling and squrming make up the entirety of my class. Thank goodness, they haven't figured out the getting the head stuck through the hole in the chair technique yet.
Post a Comment