Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pringles vs. Willpower

Last night I went to the gym for an hour. When I came home, I virtuously grabbed some water and headed in to turn off my computer. Of course, while I was here, in front of the ever-so-inviting monitor, I just had to log in and check the news, the blogs, the vacuous frivolity that is Facebook.

I also noticed that someone had left a half-eaten can of Pringles by my computer. I assure you, it was not me. I do not, in any normal state of being, buy or eat Pringles. However, pregnancy has altered my mental/
emotional/physical status to such a degree that the other day I actually ate a Twinkie. (Okay, I ate two -- but not on the same day!)

I cannot tell you how annoyed I was that someone could be so thoughtless as to not only break the 'no eating by the computer' rule, but then leave the evidence sitting there with such obvious disregard!

I picked up the can, looked for the lid, and noticed that there weren't many chips left. Now, I ask you, my fellow mothers, those of you who eat the crust you just cut off the sandwich for your toddler, and snack on the last few Dinos rather than dump them in the trash, what would you do with a lidless, almost-empty can of Pringles that was sitting open by your computer?

Well, that's exactly what I did. I don't know how many maternal diets have been spoiled by the rationalization, "Well, I can't just throw it away."

Of course, most men would not and do not have this dilemma. If they want Pringles, they buy them and eat them. If they don't want Pringles, they throw the remainder away. I often wonder what it would be like to live life with no guilt. In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to go the gym again.

9 comments:

Gina and Jon said...

I love it, and I agree it would be nice to have no guilt.. but I guarantee I would be right there eating them with you.

Jennifer B. said...

I'm sure the baby enjoyed them too.

Tylershark said...

So what happened to the Pringles I bought?

Kristen said...

The KIDS ate them all.

Papa said...

pringles - no. Twinkies - yes. Good choice. love Papa

Sarah said...

Glad to hear that you're feeling well enough to go to the gym (and eat pringles)!!

Bethany said...

The only thing I'd be able to do at the gym for that long while being pregnant is sit in the jacuzzi (on the edge, of course, with the water up to my knees). Good for you!

DMom said...

Congratulations on the Twinkie's and the Pringles - it show that you are human. Now, just get rid of the guilt!!!!

Anonymous said...

Whoa.

Twinkies.

I thought I felt a shudder in the space-time continuum. I was right.