Monday, January 25, 2010

Cups

I have four kids that use cups. Each day they are supposed to choose ONE clean cup. They set it on the counter in a special place and everyone knows to only use their own cup. This is a great system, see, because it both increases personal accountability and decreases unnecessary dishwashing.
.
Uh huh.

Tonight I walked through the house and gathered up no less than twelve cups. One was by the fireplace. One was in my bedroom. Several were in the familyroom. And of course, there were a few sitting (unused) right where they were supposed to be in the kitchen.

I do not understand how such a perfect system could fail so badly. This proliferation of cups is an affront to organized mothers everywhere. I mean, seriously, haven't we all learned by now that external systems are the best way to control personal behavior?!

Perhaps I need to reassess my use of westernized governing tactics and revert to that ever-effective, good old-fashioned judeo-christian motivator: GUILT.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

BTW if I sound cranky it's because, yes, that is the right time when I posted this, and no, I haven't fed April yet.

But I did revamp my blog. And photograph 12 cups.

I do have priorities, people.

Carrie Stuart said...

Ugh! All those cups used to be the bane of my existence. One day I got rid of ALL of them...and purchased those large, cheap, Wal*Mart cups in packs of 4...4 different colors. Each kid is assigned a color all their own. (Cliff and I use glasses since we don't have this issue.) I always know who's cup got left where...or who has used more than their one a day. (Does that make me sound too much like Mommy Dearest? What if I told you I color code their hangers in the same way?) Anyway, the system has actually been working for 5 years now. My boys will probably not know what to do when they leave for their missions and they don't have their color coded cups to guide them. Oh well. Our kids are the ones who have to do the dishes, so they actually appreciate the system, too.

DMom said...

I think 3rd world countries have the best solution: you only have one cup.

Jennifer B. said...

Kristen, I love you.

Sarah said...

I love DMom's solution!! I too have this problem, but now that we're selling our house I made the kids put their cups in the fridge door. Now they really are limited to 1 cup because that's all that will fit among the salad dressing and various sauces. So far, so good.

ohiolanges said...

My mom has tried this....it doesn't work.I am guessing that they forgot which cup was theirs, or where it was. So, obviously the solution is to get another cup. Just saying this was, and is my thought process.~Anne's daughter Eliza