Friday, July 16, 2010

Sigh...

Do you ever get tired of being yelled at? Don't most of us, at the end of a long day, just think, "Ya know, I don't think I was yelled at enough today. Hopefully tomorrow will more productive..."

Bryce is going through a yelling phase. Which really is lovely, because all my favorite people are yellers.  It tends to be such a great indicator of emotional health and personal refinement.
Today Bryce got up from his nap in a bit of a mood. He yelled at me because the light in the bathroom wasn't on (apparently, it's supposed to sense his arrival and just "turn on," like we have BMW engineered bathroom lights or something). Then he yelled at me because there was water in his potty. ("There's water in my potty," I said, pointing to the toilet. But, no. That didn't help.) Then he yelled at me because I walked out before he was done. Then he yelled because he couldn't find his cup. Then he yelled because his blankie wasn't hanging on the back of his chair, etc. Finally, after he was done eating I said, "Bryce, don't drag your blanket through the kitchen, it's going to get dirty."

At which point he yelled as loud as he could, "I like my blankie right HERE!" 

Without saying anything, I picked up his blanket and threw it down the stairs (towards his room). He then went into a full-on meltdown right in the middle of the kitchen floor. At which point, one of my other children responded, "Jeez, Mom. You didn't have to be mean to him."

Nice.

Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive.

3 comments:

DMom said...

He yelled when I asked for a hug. Sigh . . .
(He used to really like me)

Jennifer B. said...

Here's what I feel like yelling, "You are an awesome mom!"

Sorry it was a rough day.

Bethany said...

I'm already getting the "You should have XXXX or XXXX." from some of my kids (actually, just my oldest kid) whenever she doesn't approve of what I've done. I bite my tongue and tell her that she can do it however she wants when she's a mom and that I can't wait to see it.