Friday, October 22, 2010

My doe-eyed bottle rocket

My darling April is the apple of my eye. 


She is cheerful and lively and brings us hours of delight.
Doesn't she just look like a sweet, docile angel? 


But one thing I have learned (and so has Tyler) about pretty girls:
Don't let those doe-eyes fool you. 


Because inside that meek, cherubic exterior
lies a demon with a squeal that can shatter glass.


I have determined that God gives us the strength and abilities we need
to endure life's challenges. April's current life-challenge is about 3 years old
with a blankie and an attitude. Whenever Bryce comes within three feet of her,
she lets off a scream that has the pitch of a bottle-rocket
and the endearing quality of a tornado siren.

Now, I have no argument with this natural defense mechanism.
The problem is she has learned that this tool of unrestrained volume
is highly effective at not just repelling Bryce,
but also motivating those around her to do her every will.

When she wants more milk: scream. When Bryce takes her toy: scream.
When she wants to get down from her high-chair: scream.
When she is tired: scream. When she is bored: scream.
When she wants to be picked up, put down, moved or hugged...


You get the idea.

I love her. But I will also love it when she outgrows this stage.

Because, you know... age two is so much easier.

5 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

Wow! She is a beauty. May I suggest ear plugs?

Clint C. said...

You've perfectly described my life! Although Trace is talking now so it's getting better. Great photos.

DMom said...

I have to admit that Jennifer's suggestion of earplugs was an idea I strongly considered when you were on your cruise. The pictures are beautiful; I only wish blogs had sound so we could get the full effect.
Your right: two is so much easier with defiant "no's" and potty training as is five with kindergarten trauma, then you get puberty followed by teaching them to drive, and don't forget the dating thing, . . . Delusional woman - love the bottle rocket!

Gina and Jon said...

This is cute! I'm pretty sure April is a perfect angel!! I hope she doesn't teach cookie her new trick when we come to visit!

Camari said...

What a smart girl devising her own way of getting what she wants. I may have to use that one...