Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My least-favorite chore

Ode to Laundry

In my eye’s corner it sits, defiant and bold,
An ever-growing mound of clothes new and old.
Oh, organic mountain – thy color and smell!
Each odor and stain has a story to tell.
His jeans boast chocolate, ketchup and dirt.
I see cherry chapstick all over her shirt.
There are jammies, towels, and socks that are scary.
I cannot identify that spot that is hairy.
Each time I walk by, I try hard to ignore
The growing need to address my least-favorite chore.

And yet to myself, I pause, look and think,
“Am I alone, responsible for all this stink?”
There are certainly many who contributed much:
church tights, swimsuits, gym shorts and such.
I know they can help to haul, lift and hoist.
Although the task may be a bit moist.
As a team, we can work to get this job done.
And then, after that, we will go and have fun.
So to my brood I call and invite to the feast,
“Let us all come together and conquer this beast!”

Author’s subscript:
Tyler, Carter, Chelsea, Spencer & Bryce,
this means YOU.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Less timing rhyming, more time pre-treating.

I'm not sure how we do it, but we seem to generate more than one load of laundry a day. If I wait all week, I have to run the machines all day Saturday, completely covering the living room floor in clean, wrinkled, waiting-to-be-folded clothes. Which makes for a wild Saturday night, let me tell you.

I have managed, though, to get the number of shoes and toys that go into the washing machine down to a minimum. One of the boys' preferred methods of cleaning up the room is to dump it all into the hamper. You'd be surprised how well some things wash. I'll do the laundry, but I don't check pockets.

Gina and Jon said...

I have felt this way this last week, as I was out of town and we have been busy.. the laundry pile was huge and there is just two of us. The worst part of all for me is folding the laundry.

Jessica said...

Ok, I will trade laundry for just about any chore. I love to fold...love it! I love to match socks! What do I hate? Vacuuming, mopping or anything to do with floors. I especially hate vacuuming the stairs. But to me, laundry is just a guilt-free way to watch trashy TV. I do laundry every day. I wish we lived next door to each other Kristen so that we could trade...how do you feel about vacuuming?

Clint C. said...

Kristen, I've been thinking you make a good modern Erma Bombeck. Posts like theses just prove I'm right! Love it!

DMom said...

You need to clone your dad - he LOVES doing the laundry. Lucky me has not done much gathering, sorting, spotting, washing, drying, folding, or putting away for a long time - at least since we have become empty-nesters. Before that I handled most of the family wash because to Dad it was almost sacrileges to clean a room by filling the hamper and he would have no part of it. But now . . . I am a woman of leisure. Chocolates anyone?
PS - great poem! Keep this one for posterity.

Kristen said...

Clint-

I figured the best way to avoid the laundry was to write a poem about it. Then at least it is documented that I thought about it...

Also, I am impressed with your laundry savvy. We also frequently have toys in the hamper. Tyler, however, would not know this.

Gina-

Folding is my other nemesis. That is a whole other poem!

Jessica-

You are on. I will trade laundry for vacuuming anytime. Vacuuming to me is very satisfying. I like to see the stripes on the floor.

Sarah-

Thank you for your compliment! I hope all is well with you. Trace is darling!

Mom-

I think rhyming about housework is genetic. I know you have written similar ballads... And they were always clever.

Bethany said...

Unless I do one load per day (start to finish) I feel the same way you do. I haven't done one load per day for awhile now (besides toilet-training underwear), so AMEN!!!

Jennifer B. said...

I feel your pain!

Great poem.

Julie said...

You are so talented. I am jealous at the way you put that all together to match my life of laundry. I love looking at your blog. Hope you are doing well.