Saturday, April 12, 2008

Piano Recitals

Carter and Chelsea had their piano recital on Friday.

Chelsea showed her excitement prior to the event.

Me: "Chelsea, scoot closer to Carter and smile for real."
Chelsea: "Yeah, whatever. Is this better?"
Chelsea's gum: "Chew, chew, chew."
Carter (silently): "Lets see, 15 students, 2 or 3 songs each, approximately 2 minutes per song, plus those extra long songs at the end, add the getting up and down, plus the teacher's introduction, means I have about 72 minutes until Iceberg..."
.

The theme this year was "Duets," so each student got to play a song with their teacher. Chelsea played, "Pipes and Drums" and "The Little Lotus Blossom"

Carter played "Go the Distance" from Hercules.

A photo of all the students & their teacher.

Afterwards we all went out for shakes at Iceberg, which has become our post-recital tradition.

Chelsea was surprised by the size of the "Mini."


On Saturday, my piano teacher (the kids and I have different teachers), held her recital. She had asked me about a month ago about my playing in the recital but I was hesitant because I have only been taking lessons since January. And, being the only adult student amidst many more proficient younger students is somewhat daunting. But then this morning she called again and said, "I'm printing out the final program, are you sure you don't want to play!?"

I decided the best way to overcome my fear of playing in public was to play in public, so at noon I agreed to play in the recital at 4pm. What a Crazy! I hadn't practiced the song she wanted me to play all week, so I had a quick cram session and then we headed off. It was more terrifying than I imagined, but it was also over quickly (all a blur). Tyler was supportive, he had both the still camera and the video camera (I felt like the three year old at her first ballet recital), and he told me I did well. I am still too nervous to watch the video. That is for another day...


6 comments:

Clint C. said...

Way to go, Kristen! I'm so impressed that your developing a new talent while still herding 4 kids! If you keep it up you'll be eligible for the best calling in the church, primary pianist.

Bethany said...

That's awesome, Kristen! Good for you!

Jessica said...

Way to face the Fear!!! I'm sure you rocked it!

DMom said...

I am as proud (the good kind) as a mother and grandmother can be. It is interesting how accurately the camera catches personalities.
Whatever!

Gina and Jon said...

I'm so proud of you, I love that you are taking piano lessons, and then one day when you get really good maybe I can bribe you to teach me how to play.

Jennifer B. said...

Yay Kristen! That is terrific =)