Monday, September 14, 2009

Enforcing Bedtimes Improves Kids' Health

My kids hate having a set bedtime. Carter is a master at dragging it out indefinitely. (Partially because he is interesting and older, so he gets away with it.) Tonight after we again had the conversation as to why he needs an 8:30pm bedtime, I stumbled upon this article. I just love it when I'm right.
.

Enforcing Bedtimes Improves Kids' Health

(CNN) -- When Genevieve and Brian Skory were new to parenting, they allowed their two young kids to read or watch TV until they fell asleep. "It was an agitated frenzy until they would pass out," Genevieve Skory recalled. The weary parents broke up fights between their bickering children. The next morning, the house would be chaotic again. "I don't think it's good for kids to stay up until they fall asleep -- that's three hours later than they needed to go to sleep," she said.
.
Setting bedtimes can improve sleep quality and quantity for infants and toddlers, according to a growing body of research. Not getting enough sleep affects children's behavior, memory, attention, and emotional well-being, experts said.
.
"Sleep patterns and sleep routines matter because they have both long-term and short-term implications for health and cognitive development," said Lauren Hale, an assistant professor of preventive medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center in Stony Brook, New York. "If it sets a pattern in the way you treat sleep or bedtimes, these patterns may last your whole life unknowingly."

Toddlers between the age of 1 and 3 need 12 to 14 hours of sleep. Children who lack sleep can have behavioral and emotional problems and cognitive developmental issues, sleep researchers said.

In many homes, bedtime still remains a battle of wills between parents and children. In their bustling household in Lathrup Village, Michigan, the four Skory children are now between the ages of 9 and 18. Genevieve Skory doesn't get the crying, temper tantrums or massive resistance anymore, but her younger kids still try to stay up late by peppering her with questions and last-minute requests for snacks. But Skory is adamant that bedtime is non-negotiable and this isn't enforced solely for their children's health.

"I believe in bedtime for parents' mental health," she said with a laugh.

6 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

I love this and it is so true! I have renewed my commitment to regular, early bedtimes this year and I am finally having success. It has made a big difference.

Clint C. said...

This is an ongoing goal for me, but it's it's much harder in TN where the kids get out of school an hour later. Still, I aspire to Jessica's 7 o'clock bedtime. But for us it's closer to 8:30.

Clint C. said...

On the other hand that is cool that Carter is old enough to be interesting. Sounds fun!

DMom said...

AMEN!!!!!

Sarah said...

When I saw your post title, I thought, "And parents' health too." I'm glad they mentioned that in the article. I defintely need my time, while they need their sleep time.

Jessica said...

Tell Carter that Dallin goes to bed at 7:30pm. The latest he stays up during the week is 8:30pm on Tuesdays when he goes to Young Mens and he comes home and passes out. I received the advice to keep junior high kids bedtimes early so that they are already in the habit when they start seminary. I tease my kids that they will be the only 19 year olds at the MTC whose bedtime just became "later". However, I get it, I think Carter is interesting too. I have one neighbor that tells her kids if they aren't tired at bedtime she'll be sure to load them up with more chores the next day to tire them out :)