Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fuzzy Math

Hi Honey,

So remember the other day when I said we needed some new bedding because our kids kept getting lost in the huge tear in the middle of our old comforter? Well, I am happy to say, that I found some fantastic new bedding and I saved you tons of money in the process! How did I save you money? Well, let me 'splain...

The king size down comforter we've been looking at was 50% off! Which means I saved you $149.99. Then, I found the most beautiful embroidered quilt to go over the top. It wasn't on sale, but it was a good price for such exquisite detail work. I also got two embroidered shams and a bedskirt to match. I know, the shams were a bit much at $40 each, and the bedskirt was $45, but it is all necessary!

But, here is the good part: when I got home, the bedskirt looked terrible! Which means, I had to take it back. Along with the shams. So, I saved you another $125! But, while I was there, I noticed another quilt that would look perfect folded over at the bottom of the bed, and since we had the store credit anyway, I got that quilt and two shams to match. But, once again, good news! I saved you 20% off the quilt, and the shams were also on sale for $10 off! So, that is another $37 savings -- just because I love you.

Then, when I got home, I saved more money because the bed really needs some colorful throw pillows. But, rather than buy new ones, I just used the ones from the living room. But, if I did buy new ones, they would be at least $20 each. So, there again, I saved you another $60! And, on top of that, I needed two more standard size pillows for the shams, but our pillows are queen size, so I took two old pillows from upstairs and put them in the shams. I am sure new pillows are at least $10 each - which you didn't have to pay! Yes, I know, you can thank me later...

All in all, I consider it a very frugal and successful shopping trip. With all my sharp math skills, I was able to save you:

$150 (50% discount)
$125 (returned shams/skirt)
$..20 (off second two shams)
$..17 (20% discount)
$..60 (reused throw pillows)
$..20 (reused standard pillows for shams)
$392 TOTAL SAVINGS!!

Doesn't the end result look fantastic?!


In fact, as I was checking out and explaining to the manager all the ways I had saved you money, he just smiled slightly and winked at me, as if to say, "I love shoppers like you." And I just thought to myself, "I know."
.

(Oh, BTW, we now need some new throw pillows for the living room, and a couple of standard pillows for upstairs. Just FYI. Let me know if you want me to take care of that for you...)

12 comments:

Carrie Stuart said...

We call this "Carrie Math" at our house. I like yours better! ;^)

Tylershark said...

Please, put the credit card down and step away from it with your hands where I can see them.

DMom said...

What a beautiful clean look. I can't wait to see it in person. A bargain always has an ethereal quality to it - bright and mysterious (kind of like your math).

Kristen said...

Disclaimer:

I hope it's obvious that this post is very tongue-in-cheek. I'm actually pretty adept at avoiding "savings" scams that only get you to spend more. Throughout the whole process I was annoyed at how much everything cost, and the concept of a blog was initiated by the check-out lady who said, "You saved so much today! Those in-store coupons are the best way to save money!" And I thought, "No the best way to save money is to not come in here at all."

three dogs and a logan couple said...

I get the feeling I'm experiencing "Governmental Math" every time I'm at Kohls.

Clint C. said...

Kristen, we are the same. Every time I spend money I get sick to my stomach, even on groceries (espcially on groceries!) I don't understand how people could go shopping to cheer themselves up!

Anonymous said...

I looked at that picture and thought- "I had to deliver those night stands before I had the opportunity to smooth the brush marks out of the finish."

I need to do that someday, if only to give my OCD a rest.

Kristen said...

Oh, Clint!

Those night stands are the nicest pieces of furniture in there. In fact they are the nicest pieces of furniture in the house. (Trying to think of anything else we have that is solid wood ... nope, nothing.) We love them and I have never noticed brush marks in them.

But feel free to stop by anytime for any reason.

Jennifer B. said...

Can I hire you to be my personal shopper? I love saving money!

The bed looks great, by the way.

Camari said...

This is too true. Every time at checkout at the grocery store, I'm told how much I've saved. And here I'm thinking I just spent $100 on groceries and you're thinking I'm gonna be happy with saving $5?! What planet are you from?

Natalie S. said...

Wow, I don't know too much about shopping, but saving more than $300 dollars sounds pretty good! And your bed looks very beautiful!

Natalie S. said...

Plus you have $392 to buy some new pillows! That's pretty awesome. =D