Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Reflections


We started school last week! I say "we," because unfortunately it's true. I've already had a great refresher on the suffix "-tion" (via this week's spelling list) and reviewed my multiplication tables. I'm also brushing up on the difference between "tens" and "ones." (I'm very proficient at the "tens" column, you'd be proud.)

Anyway, since we are in the mood of "back to school bonanza," I encouraged Carter to step up this year and participate in the Reflections Contest. He's never done it and since school is rather easy for him (just the way he likes it), I think he should stretch a little and do some extra credit (just the way I like it.)

This was met with ample resistance. At some point I said, "Photography is a category, you could do that. The theme this year is 'How I can make a difference.' You could go around and take pictures of people 'making a difference.'"

He looked at me with the same face you are making now.

I continued, "Well then, you could take pictures of yourself making a difference."

He responded, "How?"

"I don't know," I said. "Like doing nice things for people. Making a difference at school."

He rolled his eyes and said, "No, I mean, how am I supposed to take pictures of myself?"

I thought about this for a minute.

He began to walk away, so I simply stated, "I'm sure you could find some way to make a difference."

He shook his head and said, "I'm just not that kind of guy."

Hmm, I think we are going to have a few projects this fall. One will be the Reflections contest, one will be helping Carter learn "what kind of guy" he is, and one will be a refresher on physics.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

When you figure it out, let me know. At the end of Dallin's first day of 2nd grade, I went to his classroom and asked his teacher how he did. She laughed and explained how she had excitedly explained to her new class how much fun journals would be and how they'd be writing every week, "Any questions? Yes, Dallin?"
Dallin- "What is the bare minimum I have to write to get credit for the assignment?" He had learned that because of all the time I had said, "Don't just do the bare minimum you have to do to get credit for the assignment." Oh, well. I guess the good news is that we all know what kind of guy Carter is...even if he doesn't.

Clint C. said...

Any kind of "self-awareness" is good at this age, right? Maybe art is not his thing. I tried to enroll Tal in a drama class (he's pretty dramatic, right? I didn't think I was too off base) and he said, "Mom, I will NEVER want to stand in a circle with a bunch of people and dance!"

DMom said...

I liked your idea about people who make a difference, and I didn't make any kind of face.