Thursday, February 11, 2010

My yoga is more exciting than your yoga

One of my New Year's resolutions was to do yoga a few times per week. I've been trying to do it in the morning right after the kids go to school. April goes down for a nap, I put in my video and practice from 9am until 10am. I only have one problem...

My yoga partner is out of control.

.
He usually starts off well. He likes the down-dog.

And the leg lifts

And the spine twist.
(See him concentrate on his Pranayama breath?)

But that pretty quickly dissolves into a form
of yoga-break dancing that includes
high kicking and jumping off the couch.

Then we move on to firearms.

Swordplay.

At least one potty break.

And a standup routine that includes
an oversized magician hat,

'oh-so-lovely' drool from the potty-candy,
and of course: pants on backwards.
.
I have to admit that for me, this yoga practice tends to be less than relaxing. At the beginning of the video the voiceover states: "Yoga should be practiced in a quiet environment away from distractions so that full inner relaxation can be achieved."  And I think, "Lady, I hate to break it to you, but that just aint gonna happen."

I suppose I could get up early and do it before the kids go to school. But that would require me to set my alarm for 5am. And only crazy people get up that early to exercise (Tyler).

Sheesh, I'm not that motivated.

Plus, didn't you know that yoga-break dancing is all the rage? It's the sport of the future, man.

6 comments:

DMom said...

I wish I could rent some of that energy and enthusiasm!

Tylershark said...

Sounds like you'd be better suited for Zumba.

Jennifer B. said...

That yoga partner is something else. I bet he'd tell you relaxation is over-rated. Yoga break dancing sounds way more exciting.

Sarah said...

I've had similar partners during pilates, and I finally gave up. I'm also unable to get up early to exercise, so I've decided that for now, night-time exercise is my thing.

Gina and Jon said...

I think he looks like a perfect partner! Finding the right time is tricky for me also!

Camari said...

Sign me up for yoga at your house. That looks like fun!!