Last Sunday was Ward Conference. So, naturally, I had an epiphany. As I was sitting in the 3rd hour meeting, contemplating the deep significance of the stake's message, I caught a glimpse of my dry, non-pedicured February toes sticking boldly out of the top of my sandals and thought, "Good heavens, have you no shame?!"
But then, as I sat there, trying to hide such reprehensible feet under my long skirt and hoping no one else would notice, I thought, "When did feet stop being... you know, feet?"
.
There are some ways in which we as a society have made great advancements. I consider much of my life to be significantly easier than that of most women who have ever lived. I have an electric washer, dryer, dishwasher, toaster, can opener, refrigerator, running water (hot and cold), lights, heat, etc. Not to mention a car, voting privileges and a bank account! Really, it's pretty cush. We have obviously made great strides in how we live and function. But it seems that as a society, when our significant survival needs are met, we then shift our focus to the trivial, mundane, and absolutely ridiculous.
Take teeth whitening for example. When I was in high school, I'd never heard of whitening teeth. Now, it's not only standard, but expected. I was chatting with a friend the other day who said she is frustrated with her mother because she just won't go in and get her teeth whitened. Silly woman! Doesn't she know that these days we have moved right past judging people by the color of their skin and now we judge them by the color of their teeth!? I told Tyler a few weeks ago that I wanted to go to the dentist and get my teeth whitened. (Because you know, the whitening strips, toothpaste, mouthwash and gum just aren't effective enough...) He said, "What makes you think you need your teeth whitened?" And because my real answer of: "Well, because everyone else does," seemed so stupid, I responded with the much more insightful: "I dunno."
I feel the same way about pedicures. Some women love them; getting a pedicure is the highlight of their week. (Which is great, I have no problem with that.) But for me a pedicure just seems like an extra $45 I'd rather not pay someone to play with my feet while I worry about what my five children are doing either to the house, the sitter, or each other. When did we elevate feet to such a high social standard that they now need to be exfoliated, buffed, and painted, weekly? Can you imagine if a some large, hairy caveman had lumbered in to where his wife was gutting a freshly-killed wildebeest and said: "You, woman! Paint feet!" She probably would have picked up her cavewoman club and beat him with it.
It's scary to think that in my pampered, efficient, automated life, I am now subjected to ridiculous beauty standards that no hardworking cavewoman would tolerate. I have to question the point of all the plucking, shaving, cutting, highlighting, coloring, painting, whitening, and make-up-ing. It's exhausting.
So, in response to this tangential aside I had during the 3rd hour meeting, I decided to boldly thrust my toes forward for all to see! Maybe then, someone else would feel that they didn't need to paint either! But that only lasted a minute before I tucked them snugly back underneath my chair.
Instead, I just wore boots.

10 comments:
Thats funny I was just thinking about the fact that I have not painted or done anything to my feet in months.. I say due nothing till summer!
Why stop at feet??? Lets all give up coloring hair, makeup, shaving, who knows what we really look like?
I heard a criticism of Pres. Obama yesterday because the jeans he threw the Yankee opening pitch in were deemed "too short." What nonsensical stress we heap on ourselves!
I knew there was a reason you were my friend. Don't you think the primping standards are much more relaxed in San Diego? In SOME places (like the state I'm about to move to) hair doesn't look done unless it's colored, even if your natural color is perfectly fine.
I loved this post, Kristen, and I am in complete agreement. We really worry about ourselves too much. I protest during the summer and go around with naked toenails. I don't think I've ever painted my toenails in my adult life. (I do clip and clean them though :-))
I love this post! I respond so well to it since I don't paint my nails, ever. I'm an incessant nail biter, so what's the point. My toes, sometimes I'll paint them clear, just for a change. I hardly ever wear makeup. The last time I wore mascara was at my own wedding. I did go through a phase when coloring my hair was fun, until my hair became totally unmanageable, frizzy and dry. Oh, and I have never had my ears pierced. If I didn't shave regularly I'd definitely fit your description of a cave woman!!
Cami you are the rare type that can get away with it!
Loved your post! I feel so much better about my half naked toes. Polish is chipping from months ago. I resisted the urge to go today. I think I can wait until Lauren's wedding....or just buy closed toe shoes. :-)
I love all your comments!
Gina: I'm with you. There's still months until summer.
Jessica: I don't think we should stop at feet. I would love to dump all the oppressive extras.
DMom: I think Obama has more important things on his mind. Or at least he should...
Sarah C: Primping standards are out of control here! Tyler is convinced that as the education level goes down, primping goes up.
Sarah T: You have always had a natural beauty that is very refreshing. I love that about you.
Cami: I love your simple style also!
Hillary: You'd be beautiful no matter what you did. The reason the rest of us wear make up is to try and look like you.
Michelle: We are so excited!! How many days left?
Last time I got any nails done (my fingernails) was for my mom-daughter outing with my girls while Nate was at Fathers and Sons with the boys. (It was only my 3rd time ever.) I stared at them constantly (with much pleasure -- they were beautiful!) for the first day and thought, "I could get used to this." By day 2 they were already chipping (you know, diapers, dishes, laundry, homework, weeds, etc., etc., etc.) and I thought -- what a waste. Still, it was fun to go with the girls, but really, it's ridiculous. At least with pedicures they give you a nice foot massage....
Post a Comment