In many ways, my life is very much like a Survivor episode. I am frequently surrounded by hungry, strong-willed people (some of whom are perpetually half- dressed), in constant competition for food, attention, and other resources. The main difference being that in our weekly "tribal council" we sing "Itsy-bitsy-Spider" and eat rice-crispy treats. I have to say though, if our family life were a Survivor episode, Carter would win hands down in the "Outlast" category.
He is the master debater. He can certainly outplay (lob numerous topics at me at once) and outlast (never give in -- never give up) in any debate. If you were a fly on our wall last night, recording just Carter's side of the conversation, you would have heard something like this:
"Mom, are you sure you are going to sell the playstation?"
"Have you talked to Dad yet about me playing football?"
"Tonight is the high school football game. It starts at seven."
"Can I play the playstation for just a half hour since you are going to sell it and then I won't be able to play it again ever?"
"I really want to play football. All my friends play football."
"If I can't play playstation, what is there to do? And, please don't say, 'Read a book.'"
"Jacob plays football."
"How much are you selling the playstation for?"
"So are we going to the game tonight?"
"All the books we own are boring."
"Kade plays football."
"Are you going to sell all the games with the playstation? What about Motorstorm?"
"I really want to go to the game."
"Ethan plays football."
"I started Harry Potter once, it wasn't interesting."
"Ethan says I could play on his team."
"What about Lego Star Wars? Are you going to sell that one with the playstation? I have all my levels saved."
"Jordan plays football."
"When does Dad get off work? Will he take me to the game?"
"Playing catch in the backyard doesn't count as football."
"Lego Star Wars II is mine. If you sell it, you have to pay me."
"Caden plays football."
"Who are you selling the playstation to? Will they even like Lego Star Wars?"
"Jacob plays football."
"Yes, I already finished that book."
"If Dad's not home, maybe I can go to the game with Kade."
"A book is not as interesting as playstation."
"Logan plays football."
"Why did you even buy the playstation if you are just going to sell it?"
"Have you talked to Dad yet about me playing football?"
"Brecken plays football."
I'm not sure from whom Carter gets this maddening tenacity (Tyler), or his sense of personal rectitude (Tyler), or the idea that every conversation has an ultimate "winner" (Tyler). So, I just try to do my best to keep up and be grateful he has traits that will ultimately help him be successful in life. (The funny thing is, all he'd really have to do is flash me that smile and the conversation would be much shorter -- but don't tell him that.)
Oh, and just so you know, I decided not to sell the playstation; he did end up going to the football game with his Dad; and we are still in discussions regarding him playing football next year. Stay tuned...
6 comments:
Wow, that sounds mentally exhausting! You are one cool cucumber Kristen!
Tell me what size football cleats he wears...I have size 4 and size 6. They each cost $50 (would have been $25 if I'd been willing to buy the pair that said "Michael Vick" on it) and were each worn for exactly twelve football practices. They were abruptly shelved following an injury I couldn't stomach and two boys realization that if they had gotten hurt like Wesley, they would not be able to play golf for three months. Luckily for me, golf trumps football for every boy in the family.
Oh, and I have a pair of padded forearm pads that were only used three times (following Wesley's injury). You can have it all FOR FREE!!
By the way, this is in no way an endorsement for or against youth football...it is an endorsement for golf, and a comment on the injuries that could occur that would affect one's golf game. And, I don't want you to buy the "good cleats" only to have them sit on a shelf. Hopefully he's not a size 5, I'm all out of those.
Carter would be an awesome wide receiver or running back. Hey, I could even picture him playing quarterback. As soon as he signs up I'll put him on my fantasy football team.
-Abram
Clever, clever boy.
You know the adage - "if it works, use it!" Obviously, Carter knows what works!
Carter is one of a kind, and I love to listen to his logic specially when he talks about transformers!
Post a Comment