On one particular weekend, "Parent A" takes a much-hyped hiking trip to the mountains. Participation requires: hiking 14 miles with 20+ pounds of food, gear, water and clothing strapped to your back. Meals offered: miscellaneous freeze dried foods, hand-pumped water, a few bagels, some peanut butter, trail mix and gummy worms. Accomodations include: small light-weight tent, 1-inch-thick air mat, down sleeping bag and compact pillow -- set up on the most level ground available. Activities comprised of: hiking in, hiking out, day hikes, jumping over rivers and streams, getting dirty, watching one's stove explode, sleeping poorly and being frequently wet/dry/cold/hot/cold again. Recommended gear: hiking boots & gators, full frame pack, water resistant pants, hat, gloves, trekking poles, lightweight stove w/extra fuel (because the first can blew up), headlamp, and long-sleeved shirt.
"Parent B" opts out of the hiking adventure and vaguely states, "Oh, we'll just hang around here." Participation requires: a warm house, a car with gas, a small amount of spending money. Meals offered: Little Ceasar's pizza, Del Taco bacon cheeseburger & french fries, homemade lemonade, and Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch. Accomodations include: sleeping in warm, soft bed in warm, dry house on perfectly flat ground. Activities comprised of: bead shopping & making necklaces, clothes shopping ($5 sale at Children's Place!), playing at park, braiding hair, painting nails, renting & watching movies, ordering pizza, and a bit of light vacuuming. Recommended gear: shirt, shorts, flip-flops and a hairbrush.
I suppose to make this comparison truly fair, I should include the following information. "Parent A" certainly had more adventure. Besides all the great scenery, he also got to watch the fuel can on his featherweight stove explode. The first day boasted beautiful weather and made for a perfect hike to Kolob Arch. The second day snowed and the trip was cut short when the group decided to hike out early due to sub 30 degree temperatures and snowpack. But, they did get to eat at Village Inn on the way home. "Parent B" had less adventure -- thankfully -- but was warm and dry the whole time.
Regarding the aforementioned activities, please choose which of the following statement(s) best describes your opinion of fun:
#1. Forget comfort, give me the great outdoors anytime!
#2. I love jumping over streams, but do I have to hike 14 miles?
#3. I want to see a fuel can explode! Were there shards? Was there blood?
#4. Just how much spending money constitutes "a small amount?"
#5. Pizza and a movie sound great! Did the movie by any chance feature Russell Crowe? (Yes it did!)
#6. You made beaded jewelry without me?
#7. I'll take any of the above as long as I still get the warm bed at night.
#8. Are these my only options? What about Disneyland? Or a cruise? How about jewelry I don't have to make myself? (Those poor kids...)
We look forward to your opinions. Oh, and just so you know, we all had a great weekend.
2 comments:
This is a tough decision.
NOT! #5 all the way!
#7- Although I think one night of camping could be fun. I'm not sure about two.
Post a Comment