Tuesday, April 10, 2007

An Easter Egg Hunt at Midnight


















Last night I put the kids to bed about 8:30pm. I was tired and not in the mood for post-bedtime requests. After several kisses, hugs, drinks, potties and other last-minute needs, I gave my final, most patient, bedtime ultimatum: "That's It, Go Now."

About 15 minutes later, Chelsea came out and said, "I made an Easter egg hunt." I didn't respond. She continued, "I decided I didn't want my Easter eggs, so I put the candy back in them and quietly hid them in Spencer's room." I softened at this point and said, "That was nice of you." Chelsea responded, "Yes, that way when Spencer wakes up in the morning he will find some treats." I concluded that this was a very nice gesture, so I kissed her and sent her to bed (again) with a smile. I thought this was the end of the story.

But no. At 12:15am when I was enjoying the quiet, gravity-defying comfort of sleep I suddenly heard a crinkling sound by my bed. I turned to see Spencer standing there holding a bite size Snickers candy bar. "Will you open this for me?" He said. "What?" I asked. "This candy. Open it for me." Spencer said, as awake as day. "Spencer, it's not time for candy, it's time for bed. You can have this candy in the morning." He protested a little, but the snoring next to me prohibited any further discussion. I picked him up and carried him back to bed. It wasn't until I had completed the journey and was back in my bed that I remembered generous Chelsea's recycled Easter eggs and realized how Spencer found the Snickers in the first place. What he was doing up at 12:15 looking around his room is beyond me.

But, true to form, Spencer rarely forgets. At 7am, after a healthy breakfast of Cheerios mixed with Froot Loops (a compromise by both of us), he was able to enjoy his bite size Snickers. That's the best way to start a Tuesday, right?

1 comment:

Tylershark said...

Hey, I had the same thing happen to me last night, only I wasn't aware of it at the time.